SWU insights with Manolo Amézquita Sahagún (Ricardo Amézquita)




Last year I had the opportunity to interview the Mexican Live-Act Ricardo Amézquita. Here's a little insight into his work. 


Interview mit Ricardo in Deutsch



How did you get into music?

When I was 10 years old I was so motivated by music from bands like King Crimson, Yes, Emerson/Lake & Palmer and many others from the progressive rock from UK in the early 70’s. All of these bands had keyboard players with so many analog synths, and I was just crazy about their setup, so I decided to start learning which brands they were using on stage and in the studio.

At the age of 15 I was introduced to the techno-pop & industrial scene with bands like Depeche Mode, OMD, Yaz, Throbbing Gristle, Front 242, A Split-Second and many more. That was the moment when I decided to create music with any kind of machines I could find in Mexico at that time...



When did you start your musical career?

Officially I started at the age of 16. I bought my first Gibson Epiphone guitar and my digital delay from Boss. That was a magical moment in my life because I felt that I would be immortal alongside of this shitty guitar.




How would you describe your music style?

I love to perform live Dub and Techno, but at the studio I do very often rhythms, so it depends on the mood, at what hour I am working and the equipment that I am using. So I can call it electronic music, because sometimes it is on 130 bpm but could change dramatically to 98 bpm. But I would say it goes from the experimental themes to Techno stuff.



Which artists had a lasting influence on you and still affect you?

Talking about dance influences from the past century I really respect all the work from artists like Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Sven Väth, DJ Rolando, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Surgeon, Ben Sims, Mark Verbos… but from the last years I really like the work from Karenn, Richard Devine and Surachai.



Which kind of music are you listening in private?

That is funny; I really like all the records from Vomito Negro (Belgian industrial band formed in 1983). But everyone who was with me when I was listening to these tracks was like: What the fuck is wrong with you?  Hehe, little kind of noisy...  But in general I like pop music from the 80’s like When in Rome, New Order, Depeche Mode, etc.



You are also producing tracks. From what do you get your ideas for new tracks?

I always start with a jam session. The kick starts everything, after that some percussion, bass, some leads, Fx and after that I can make a record session. It is a little bit difficult for me to produce a lot of tracks, because I concentrate in the perfect patch or the perfect effects for days… By the way, I always use the Soundtoys suite for my Fx rack.




How do you start with a new track? Do you have something like a ritual?

Funny you ask this, because, yes I have a ritual, hehe, I like to walk with my dogs 45 minutes before I turn on my studio. I like to get relaxed before I start working on any idea… It feels great to get love from yRecentlyour pets before making music. 


In 2014 a track from your project Manoarma was released on a compilation on ZYX Music. Congratulations to this. Are there other tracks which you have published?

For the ZYX Music compilation our label’s CEO (Israel Toledo) helped us to get this done, were great news for Armando (Armando Gonzalez from Manoarma) and me. The track was taken from our very first ep called Voodoo from Assassin Soldier Recordings 2014. Yeap, we published another track on the same label called Econvulsive. This track appears on the ASR compilation II.



Tell me something about the project Manoarma?

Well, Manoarma was the project from Armando and me. Armando is a very well-known VJ from Guadalajara. I came from the Electronic Music Scene where Luis Flores had a House and Techno label here in Guadalajara called NopalBeat.

Armando and me, we met each other approximately eight years ago. At the beginning, we were friends but in the 2013, we did a jam session just with hardware items (TR 707 + TR 909 + Fx). We were so happy and comfortable to improvise with hardware, that we start our journey on this analog hell.




What is important to you in life?

My family, my wife, my pets, my studio but over everything is the music.

I really love to turn on my studio and spend all day and night working there. Unfortunately, I cannot work on music all the time because I run a creative department in a very well-known digital marketing agency in Mexico, but the music without a doubt comes always first.


. . .


Interview mit Ricardo in Deutsch


Im letzten Jahr hatte ich die Möglichkeit den mexikanischen Live-Act Ricardo Amézquita zu interviewen. Hier ein kleiner Einblick in seine Arbeit.


Wie bist du zur Musik gekommen?

Seit ich 10 Jahre war, beeindruckte mich die Musik von Bands wie King Crimson, Yes, Emerson/Lake & Palmer und vielen anderen UK-Bands des Progressiven Rocks aus den frühen 70ern. Alle diese Bands hatten Keybord-Spieler mit vielen Analog-Synthesizern, ich war verrückt nach deren Setup. Deshalb begann ich mit diesen Setups, die sie auf der Bühne oder im Studio benutzten, zu lernen.

Später mit 15 kam ich zur Techno-Pop und Industrialszene mit Bands wie Depeche Mode, OMD, Yaz, Throbbing Gristle, Front 242, A Split-Second und vielen mehr. Das war der Moment als ich mich entschied, Musik zu machen, mit jeder Art von Hardware, die ich zur damaligen Zeit in Mexiko finden konnte…


Wann hast du deine musikalische Laufbahn begonnen?

Offiziell mit 16. Ich kaufte mir meine erste Gibson Epiphone Gitarre und mein erstes Digital Delay von Boss. Das war ein magischer Moment in meinem Leben, weil ich mich unsterblich fühlte mit dieser verdammten Gitarre.


Wie würdest du deinen Musikstil beschreiben?

Ich liebe es, Dub und Techno live zu spielen. Aber im Studio kreiere ich so viele verschiedene Rhythmen. Es hängt also immer von meiner Stimmung, der Tageszeit oder dem Equipment ab. Ich nenne es elektronische Musik, weil die Musik manchmal 130 bpm schnell ist und dann sich plötzlich auf 98 bpm ändert. Ich würde also sagen, mein Musikstil reicht von experimentell bis Techno.


Welche Künstler haben dich beeinflusst oder beeinflussen dich noch?

Bei den musikalischen Einflüssen aus dem vergangenen Jahrhundert respektiere ich die Arbeit von Künstlern wie Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Sven Väth, DJ Rolando, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Surgeon, Ben Sims, Mark Verbos….in den letzten Jahren hat mit auch die Arbeit von Karenn, Richard Devine oder Surachai beeindruckt.


Du produzierst ja auch Tracks. Woher nimmst du deine Ideen für neue Tracks?

Ich fange immer mit einer Jam-Session an. Alles beginnt mit dem Kick, danach Percussion, Bass, einige Leads, Fx und danach starte ich die Aufnahme. Es ist ein bisschen schwierig für mich, viele Tracks zu produzieren, da ich mich tagelang auf den perfekten Patch oder den perfekten Effekt konzentriere…übrigens, ich benutze immer das Soundtoys Suite für mein Fx-Rack.


Wie beginnst du mit einem neuen Track? Hast du so etwas wie ein Ritual?

Lustig, dass du fragst, ja, ich habe ein Ritual, haha. Ich mag es mit meinen Hunden 45 Minuten spazieren zu gehen, bevor ich in meinem Studio starte. Ich mag es mich zu entspannen, bevor ich an einer Idee arbeite. Es fühlt sich sehr gut an, wenn du die Liebe deiner Hunde bekommst, bevor du Musik machst… 


2014 wurde ein Track deines Projektes Manoarma auf einer Compilation auf ZYX Music veröffentlich. Glückwünsch dazu! Gibt es noch mehr veröffentlichte Tracks von dir?

Der CEO unseres Labels (Israel Toledo) hat bei der Veröffentlichung auf der ZYX Compilation geholfen, das waren großartige Neuigkeiten für Armando (Armando Gonzalez von Manoarma) und mich. Der Track war von unserer ersten EP Voodoo, die wir auf Assasin Soldier Recordings in 2014 veröffentlicht haben. Und wir haben noch einen anderen Track auf diesem Label veröffentlicht – Econvulsive. Dieser Track wurde auf der ASR Compilation II veröffentlicht.


Erzähle mir etwas über Manoarma?

Nun, Manoarma war das Projekt von Armando und mir. Armando ist ein sehr bekannter VJ aus Guadalajara. Ich komme aus der elektronischen Musikszene von Guadalajara, wo Luis Flores das House und Technolabel NopalBeat hatte.

Armando und ich haben uns vor 8 Jahren kennengelernt. Am Anfang waren wir nur Freunde. 2013 haben wir eine Jam-Session nur mit Hardware gemacht (TR 707 + TR 909 + FX) und waren so glücklich mit Hardware improvisieren zu können, dass wir schließlich unsere Reise in dieser analogen Hölle begannen.




Was ist dir wichtig im Leben?

Meine Familie, meine Frau, meine Haustiere, mein Studio, aber vor allem die Musik.

Ich liebe es in mein Studio zu gehen und dort den ganzen Tag und die ganze Nacht zu arbeiten… Leider kann ich nicht den ganzen Tag an meiner Musik arbeiten, weil ich eine Kreativ-Abteilung einer sehr bekannten digitalen Marketing-Agentur in Mexiko leite. Aber die Musik steht ohne Zweifel an erster Stelle.



No comments:



Complete track list for the Sonic Warriors United » Compilation Vol. 1 «